Re: Network booting issues

Hi again,

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> time, even though I have two disks, because a 10/100 network card +
> cheap x86 NFS server is actually a faster disk combo than the local
> disks.  I compile kernels on it all the time.  I also run netscape.

I fully agree here.
Once I built new kernels on my root on nfs enabled clients as well.
Without any problem.

> > Andreas Jaehnigen <jaehnias@ims.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
> >
> > >       elftoaout -o vmlinuz-2.2.14.net vmlinuz-2.2.14
> >
> I don't know why that would be necessary, but I load my kernel off
> the disk, then use an NFS root.  However, I've got a completely
  ^^^^^^^^
Heh, dont you want to have DISKLESS clients? ;)
But seriously..
Do you mean floppy disk? Since Suns are capable to boot off from
network, the floppy disk solution isnt very charming..

Of course, you must have running an arp server (where the clients get its
ip adresses from once linux starts up) and a tftp server. (From there the
clients get the a.out boot image from).

	Andi