Re: Network booting issues

The sun4m boxes are 32 bit processor boxes while you are running
your ultra1 in 64 bit land.  But you say that you built the kernel
on the client, so it should be good for that arch, as long as you
configured the kernel correctly.  I'm not familiar with mknbi.

Nils Ackermann wrote:

> Linux klio 2.2.18pre21 #1 Wed Nov 22 17:12:06 EST 2000 sparc64 unknown
>
> Server: Ultra1 (sun4u)
> Clients: SparcStation4 (sun4m)
>
> Scenario: Let SS4s be diskless X-terminals for Ultra Server, using
> `diskless' package.
>
> I have working potato installations on the server and on one of the
> clients (local, the disk is not removed yet).  I compiled a kernel
> with root nfs, DHCP, BOOTP and rarp on the client, for sun4m
> architecture.  I have mknbi from `netboot' v.  0.8.1-4 (potato).
>
> 1. On client and server,
>
> mknbi-linux -k zImage -o netboot-img
>
> (where zImage is the sun4m kernel) gives
>
> mknbi-linux: Could not find magic number in kernel image
>
> (same with pertinent options `-d rom -i rom').
>
> 2. How can I compile a kernel for sun4m on the sun4u architecture?  Do
>    I need a cross compiler for this?

You said above that you built it on the client.  Why would you want
to build it on the server for the client?  Besides the fact that the
server is faster, I mean.  ~:^)