Re: Sparc 20 and Kernel Oops on chmod()!

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > 	After some additional debugging and detective work, I figured out
> > the catalyst for the crash... RAID partition autodetect by the kernel at
> > boot time. Once I changed the types of the partitions on the raid disks to
> > 83 (from fd), and rebooted, the system did not autodetect any raid arrays
> > and came up fine with either 2.2.18 or 2.2.19 (w/new style raid patches
> > applied [0]). Then I was able to start the raid up using /etc/init.d/raid2
> > and everything looks to be working just fine now.
>
> I've never tested the RAID autodetect stuff so its not surprising its
> broken :)

	Now that I think back, I don't think I ever rebooted the machine
between setting up the raid originally and the power failure. I.e.
raid-autodetect never worked in the first place.
	I was just able to boot the machine the first time, it saw the
disks in the array, I created the RAID array, and mounted it. Then a week
or so later the power failed, and the machine rebooted. On boot up it
attempted an autodetected and then commited suicide. At least running RAID
setup from init.d scripts works just fine, and the RAID itself it
perfectly stable. With that, I can live without autodetect.
	Anyway, thanks for your help and the tip about figuring out useful
information from the kernel oops. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |