Re: Sparc 20 and Kernel Oops on chmod()!

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > PSR: 401000c0 PC: f00554d5 NPC: f00554d8 Y: 00000000
>
> static struct inode * find_inode(struct super_block * sb, unsigned long ino, struct list_head *head, find_inode_t find_actor, void *opaque)
> {
>         struct list_head *tmp;
>         struct inode * inode;
>
>         tmp = head;
>         for (;;) {
>                 tmp = tmp->next;
>                 inode = NULL;
>                 if (tmp == head)
>                         break;
>                 inode = list_entry(tmp, struct inode, i_hash);
>                         continue;
>
> Question is, where are we getting this dodgy inode * from? I had a quick
> look at the assembly and its doing some interesting reordering (I only have
> the 8 instructions around the fault unfortunately). What compiler are you
> using?

	Hmm... That is interesting, care to share how to managed to find
that this was the point of the crash from the data I sent you? Might be a
handy thing to know. :)
	Compiler is stock potato gcc:

rkirkpat@terix:/$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

As I mentioned before, the kernel had been working fine for a couple
of weeks, across multiple reboots, without problems. It is only now
that it is causing problems. :( Thanks for your help. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |