Re: SS20 lockups

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 06:39:26PM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Andy Wettstein wrote:
>
> > I installed Debian on an SS20 yesterday, and I'm having some problems
> > with it.  I installed the 2.2.19-sun4dm-smp kernel for it, and it
> > locked up pretty soon after that.  I looked around on the net and saw
> > that SS20's could have problems using smp, so I installed the
> > 2.2.19-sun4m without smp but it crashed pretty soon after that.
>
> 	Does your Sparc 20 have more than one processor? If not, the SMP
> kernels are probably not the best to be running, even if only from a
> performance standpoint (additionaly overhead involved with SMP is a waste
> on a uni-processor system).

yeah it has dual processors (Dual SM50s):
cpu      : Texas Instruments, Inc. - SuperSparc 50
fpu      : SuperSparc on-chip FPU
promlib     : Version 3 Revision 2
prom     : 2.15
type     : sun4m
ncpus probed   : 2
ncpus active   : 2
Cpu0Bogo : 49.86
Cpu1Bogo : 49.97
MMU type : TI Viking
invall      : 0
invmm    : 0
invrnge     : 0
invpg    : 0
contexts : 65536
CPU0     : online
CPU1     : online

> > So, I was wondering if anyone knows what kernel would be stable on
> > this thing.  Btw, I also upgraded this to sid, maybe sid isn't stable
> > on an SS20?
>
> 	My SS20 with a single SM51 processor is rock solid (5 days up so
> far, more before the last reboot to rearrange power cables). It is running
> 2.2.18 with the patches from www.linuxraid.org (no software raid
> partitions yet, working on setting them up still). Also, the machine is
> running stock potato.

I'm testing out some different kernel's, so I'll see if that helps.  It
locked up every day on me so far.  It could also be related to running
sid, but I'm not for sure.  I'm was just going to use it for network
monitoring, so it didn't matter too much about running "unstable."  I
figured it was easier to upgrade than to recompile a bunch of stuff I
wanted.  If it keeps giving me problems I'll just go back to potato and
see how that works.

> 	I am thinking about buying either a second SM51, or a pair of
> SM61/71s for it, and would be interested in other people's experience with
> SMP on the Sparc 20. Thanks.

I'll let you know if I find a way to stabilize the system.  I think
there's a thread on this list though about stability problems with SMP
on a ss10/20.  I'm hoping linux 2.4 will help things out, but I have
problems compiling and booting it, so I may have to wait until that gets
a little more stable.