building compressed kernel

Hello,

At last I managed to build a cross gcc intel -> sparc. I did succeed in
building a kernel (I haven't tried to boot it yet), but only an
uncompressed one. make vmlinuz, zImage or bzImage didn't work, which makes
sense because for sparc they're not listed in any Makefile.
However, it must be possible to make compressed kernels, since potato
seems to include compressed kernels (vmlinuz-...).
Does anyone on the list know how to make compressed sparc kernels?

Tim.

P.S. The kernel I made is a 2.2.18, and has already been converted to
a.out.