playsmpeg and Xfree86 4.0.2

I was using playsmpeg under Xsun24.
I have installed the xfree86 4.0.2 package and running the new xserver
on my Ultra 10 with a Creator 3D card under potato.

There was no problem with the smpeg when I used xsun24 but now the
colors are mismatched just noise is visible with mpeg files.

I found smpeg is working only 16 or 32 bits cards and dynamically
converts to other e.g. 24 bits.

What is the solution for the 24bit cards using smpeg and xfree86?

Gabor
PS.
I'm able to play mpegs with mpeg_play but mpeg_play cannot play sound.