Re: Abstraction (Was: Re: Potato->Woody)

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 10:00:20AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:

> So, then someone asks, how come reiserfs doesn't work on sparc.
>
> I wonder what am I missing?

This is what's known as bad, non-portable coding. You see, on different
architectures, things are, well, different. We have big and little
endians, and we have 32bit and 64bit. When you code something, and don't
have the foresight to work with these nuances, you get problems down the
road.

You see, someone thought it would be easier to "just get it working,
sort out the portability later" than to "think now, do it right, and save
mind later". Of course, Linus once said that Linux would never work on
anything other than i386 too :)

Ben