Re: error upgrading libc6-dev on sparc

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:56:23AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > > I got this on my sparc, but I'm not sure if it's a sparc only
> > > problem. When upgrading to recent unstable, using apt, it got to
> > > unpacking libc6-dev, where dpkg died with a Bus error. I'm not sure
> > > whether this is a bug in libc6-dev or in dpkg, so I don't know which
> > > package to bug report, which is why I'm sending it here.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > This leaved libc6-dev in a not properly installed state, so I can't
> > > upgrade or install other things either. At least not with apt-get.
> >
> > same problem here...but I thought it was me. :)
>
> Well a SIGBUS is not a problem in the package, it is either dpkg, or
> your computer's fault. Possibly libc6's fault, but I doubt it.
>
> Can you two provide me more info on your systems? libc6 version, kernel
> version, CPU type (sun4m, sun4u, sun4c, etc...). Are these Debian
> compiled kernels, or self-compiled?

dpkg 1.8.1.2
libc6 2.2-8 (error came when trying to upgrading to 2.2-10)
kernel 2.4.0-test11 (self compiled, plain release, no extra patches)
Machine is an SS5 (sun4m)

When I ran the upgrade, dpkg was first upgraded from 1.7.something to
the 1.8.1.2 that's running now. It was able to install a few more
packages, before it came to libc6-dev, where it crashed. I've checked
with the debug option on dpkg several times, that it crashes on the
exact same place.

Greetings,

Tomas