lots of "^G" with mc

potato rel.2 on SS2, Midnight Commander:
After increasing the "result lines" (don't know if this is the
right english expression, i mean the visible lines on the bottom,
normally this is 0, only one line for the prompt, can be configured
with the F9-config-layout dialog) MC shows just lines of
"^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G" instead of lines with the result of
the last operation. MC on potato rel.2 on x86 is ok. Is this a bug
in the sparc port or did I do something wrong (it's my third day
on a debian-Sparc and I just installed a new kernel...)

Greetings,
Andreas