Re: X on SS10

Matt Herzog <mherzog@mediaone.net> writes:

> Hi Adam. I saw your response on the sparc list and
> thought I might buy a clue. X will not start for
> love nor money on Debian but woked nicely under
> *gag* RedHat's Gnome Workstation install (the one
> without inetd.conf, heh). xsun24 is installed but
> when I type startx it can't find the mouse. So I
> installed gpm which obliterates xsun24! I need
> help. It's been over a year sin I ran Linux and
> I never ran it on sparc. I'm really glad some
> *nix supports my leo framebuffer tho. BSD doesn't.

Well, the debian-sparc list is the place to look for info on that.  I
believe you need /dev/sunmouse to be a symlink to /dev/mouse.

Then make sure this is in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or does your X server
not have an XF86Config?)

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "sun"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

It's best to work it out w/o gpm first, then if you need GPM, it'll be
easier if you start from a working X11 configuration.

If this doesn't help, I suggest searching through the debian-sparc
mail list -- someone else must have had this problem and solved it.