Re: HELP 2.4 booting on a serial console (resend)

Guillaume Lécroart wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to get a 2.4 kernel booting on an Enterprise 2 with 2 CPUs.
The trick is that I'm using a serial console, and have no graphical card
inside the box.

When booting (either 2.4.10-smp from unstable Debian or 2.4.14 compiled on
the box itself after d/l from ftp.kernel.org), boot process starts ok :

Remapping the kernel... done.
Booting Linux...
Starting CPU 1... OK

Then stops with no output and sending break doesn't fall back to the "{0} ok
" prompt. Appending something like "serial" or "console=/dev/ttyS0" doesn't
help.

Any idea anyone?

I can suggest you something.. try booting a non-smp kernel and if possible a 2.2 series. I noticed some problem using the console port to monitor the boot process on 2.4 also on i386 machine. I din't investigate the problem to much since it was more for fun.

Fabbione

--
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable Kernel 2.4.9
fabbione on irc.atdot.it #coredump #kchat | fabbione@fabbione.net