help needed booting Ultra-5

I've got an "Ultra 5" Sparc machines here on which I am going
to install Debian. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make it boot
to any installation media. The installation notes for Sparc
imply that sun4u's don't support booting to the floppy, so that
would explain my failures there, but I downloaded and burned an
official 2.2_rev3 iso for sparc, and that won't boot either.
After I do 'boot cdrom' at the ok prompt, the process begins,
but the messages say:

----
Rebooting with command: boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f  File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating: boot cdrom

Can't open boot device
----

This is quite like the message displayed when I try to boot to a
sparc rescue floppy. The cd burn seems to have been successful-
I can mount it on other machines.

Is this a known problem, and I simply can't find any
documentation about it? Might something be wrong with the
hardware here, or is it likely I'm doing something stupid?

The CD in question is a CD-RW. Are Ultra-5's old enough that
they can't read those? I don't have any account on the machine
at the moment, so I've no way of trying to mount the CD under
Solaris.

(Please CC me on replies, I'm not subscribed to the list yet)

--
paul cannon                     paul@cannon.cs.usu.edu
space software lab            http://ssl.usu.edu/paul/