general compilation question

My machine is a Sparc 5, TurboSparc Proc, running stock potato.

When I try to compile certain packages, configure usually works, but make usually dies somewhere in the process with an error:  make: invalid option -- a
and then it spits out a list of valid options for make.  I can chdir to the offending directory and run make, and it will build without error, however from the base directory this error occurs.  Is this error indicative of some other problem, or is it representative of the source that I'm trying to install having some sort of error?

thanks,
--
*****
Wes Byne