Re: SILO

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 10:45:37AM +0200, Fabbione wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	sorry to ask and might be an offtopic question.. I hope no...
>
> Does SILO support boot on a RAID-1 software disk???
>
> I've a small SS2 with 2 hd and since I wanna run some small services on
> it
> atleast I wanna ensure a minimum of redundacy of the system....
>
> I will appreciate to know it before I will go and install it since SS2
> is
> not fast enough to permit me to "play" around. It takes too long time to
> do nearly everything....

Yes, it does have RAID-1 support. Since the second stage boot loader is
loaded much the same way as lilo loads a kernel (directly from the
disk), then there should be no problems loading second.b off of a RAID-1
(AFAIK). Also, the second stage boot loader does support RAID-1,
although I'm not exactly sure how one configures it to do so.

I've gathered this from just looking at the source, since there appears
to be no docs on the subject. It should Just Work. If you do come up
with some docs on getting it working, let me know and I'll add them to
the silo documentation.

Ben

/  Ben Collins    --    SPARC/UltraSPARC Porter   --    Debian GNU/Linux   \