Re: Ftp problem

> On Sep 10, Paulo Graça Rodrigues illuminated with a virtual scribe  :

> My problem with proftpd is that I can ftp localhost but when I ftp from
> another machine I connect but it takes toooooooooo long to get the user
> and password prompt (more than 5 minutes...).
> After getting my user/password prompt, everything works correctly and very
> fast.
it's possibly reverse dns lookups timing out.  unless you're running a
nameserver (bind et al) somewhere on your local network, try putting the
two machines in /etc/hosts.

acs-pc-jp[5]~> cat /etc/hosts       localhost  beowuld.tld	beowulf	bilbo.tld	bilbo

/Jp... of the three letter domain
Jean-Paul Blaquière             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy
   http://japester.ucc.asn.au   ||   IHTFP
                 Hell is other people