Re: Kernel 2.2.19 boot problems

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 09:32:18PM -0700, Jeff Wyman wrote:
> The file I am copying is:
>
> linux/arch/sparc/boot/vmlinux.o
>
> It was my assumption that the kernel was placed in this location. The .o
> extention did look suspicious to me, but as far as I know, this is where
> the kernel is placed after a build on i386, and so I assumed it
> would be the same on sparc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Consider yourself corrected ;)

The file you want is linux/vmlinux. That is the actual kernel, and that
is what you copy. You are thinking of arch/i386/boot/bzImage, which is a
compressed bootable image. SPARC/UltraSPARC doesn't need these kinds of
oddities. You can take vmlinux and put that in /boot, and even compress
it with gzip if you want.

Ben