Sun Enterprise 3000 and 2.4.7 + others

Hi!

Some time ago I installed debian on this machine, wich has got two
microprocessors. By that time and as I wanted raid, I was told to try a 2.4
kernel and I did but I could not get it to boot, it was then that I was
pointed to the cvs 2.2.20 kernel from vger and it worked.

Since then the machine has been running 2.2.20pre1-cvs without any problem,
but today I wanted to test 2.4 again, so I got both the normal and smp
versions of the 2.4.7 kernel on debian and I installed it.

The result, the machine boots a little farther than before, but also gets
stuck, this are the final lines it prints on the console:

IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 32Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Ive
ActiAdding Swap: 765680k swap-space (priority -1)
vating swap...
Checking root file system...
Paloop: loaded (max 8 devices)
rallelizing fsck version 1.18 (11-Nov-1999)
e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
/dev/sdd1: clean, 2670/63744 files,

When it prints that Ive it gets stuck there for a while before continuing, I
have waited at the end to see if it continued but it doesn't seem to
continue.

This is a Debian Potato, with modutils 2.4.6, I'm gonna try to upgrade to
woody, but I don't hope this will change anything on this behaviour.

Any ideas on what I could test?

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net