Re: new install on ultra1/creator - cannot get video going

Marcus Crafter wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:
>
> > >         AFAIK X 3.3.6 doesn't use an XF86Config file, so
> > >         whatever is generated will be ignored - it uses the framebuffer
> > >         device
> > >         instead.
> > >
> > >         (X 4.0.1 in unstable does use an XF86Config file, which is what I
> > >         currently use, and I simply downloaded and used an XF86Config file
> > >         posted to this group a few months back).
> >
> > Er, the XF86Config file is used regardless.
>
>         Perhaps I've misunderstood something, but have a look at some of the
>         archived messages:
>
>         http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc-0007/msg00066.html
>         http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc-0011/msg00252.html
>         http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc-0010/msg00119.html
>
>         Is this information incorrect ?

That is what the first message concerning xserver-xsun-3.3.6 would
suggest, but I was of the belief that the config file was used for
the mouse and keyboard stuff.  Is that wrong?  My sun monitor has
been dead for some time, so I've forgotten the particulars....