Re: Again 2.4.X kernels and SS10...

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:53:33AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2001, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> > Exactly same things (and error) with 2.4.4. ;(
> This makes me wonder if a new released kernel isn't tested on all
> architectures.  May be we should spread our knowledge about autobuild
> daemons in Debian to the kernel development team.

The stock linux kernel (as distributed by Linus) usually only supports
i386 and alpha out-of-the-box because that's what Linus uses. All other
architectures needs patches to get them to work, see the answers in
these FAQs:

> Seems to me that Linux-kernel development goes the wrong way :-(.

Oh no, it already works this way for years. It is simply not doable for
a single person to test a kernel release on all platforms. For example:
the ARM port currently supports 73 different wildly architectures. Do
you really expect Linus to test them all?

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl