Re: Network booting issues

Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> writes:

> The sun4m boxes are 32 bit processor boxes while you are running
> your ultra1 in 64 bit land.  But you say that you built the kernel
> on the client, so it should be good for that arch, as long as you
> configured the kernel correctly.  I'm not familiar with mknbi.

> You said above that you built it on the client.  Why would you want
> to build it on the server for the client?  Besides the fact that the
> server is faster, I mean.  ~:^)

I'm planning to remove all disks from the clients to use them for
/home on the server (buying new disks is not an option at the moment,
given that the budget of our department doesn't even cover costs for
periodicals in the library).  It would thus be nice to compile kernels
for the clients on the server.

Andreas Jaehnigen <jaehnias@ims.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> 	elftoaout -o vmlinuz-2.2.14.net vmlinuz-2.2.14

That bit was new to me.  So to make a network bootable image on sparc
one doesn't use mknbi-linux?  How is the functionality of mknbi-linux
achieved here (i.e. -d rom -i rom and initrd (not that I need the last
one, just curious))?