SS20 serial port woes

I'm having some issues with a SPARCstation 20 running headless in SMP
mode with 2 Ross CPUs...

I've got ttyS0 hooked via a null-modem cable to an other computer and
I use minicom to connect to the console.

  1. When the machine is at runlevel 2, I can start minicom, login via
     the serial console. If I close minicom without logging off, my
     session stays pending there, waiting for the next person to run
     minicom.

     For comparison, an other headless machine of mine, an i386, hangs
     up all the processes in the session when I terminate minicom.

  2. Sometimes, the machine will go back to the OpenPROM prompt
     without any reasonable cause. This happens whether or nor minicom
     is attached to the serial console... If minicom is attached, I
     can see the following output:

       <cpu#0> ok Z
       Z ?
       <cpu#0>

     Something sent a break following by 'Z' and 'Enter' to the serial
     port ? Or is the serial driver completely flaky ? I dual-boot
     Solaris 8 on the same box, and it does not show the same problem...

     I've worked around this by disabling STOP-A (aka BREAK for a
     serial console) with a 'kernel/stop-a: 0' line in
     /etc/sysctl.conf.

     BTW, do anybody knows how to block STOP-As from Solaris ?

  3. Some other times, the serial port input seems to be
     stuck... Typing on the keyboard from minicom does not work... I
     can still see the kernel messages scrolling by...

     However, if I do "echo foo > /dev/ttyS0" from a network session,
     things go back to normal...

     I also do not get this problem with Solaris 8.

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc...

Phil.