Debian 2.2rev2 on UltraSparcII

I am attempting (and have been for the past day and a half) to install Linux
on a Sun e250 I have here w/ dual 248mhz' USparc II's
I have tried Redhat 6.2, Slackware 7.1, Suse 7.1, and Mandrake 7.1 (yes, all
sparc iso's) and now Debian 2.2r2.
Everytime during install I get either crashes, illegal ops, seg faults, or
it plain wont give me a SILO prompt.   I am starting to think I've got bad
hardware or something.
With this lastest distro, (debian 2.2r2) I get to the part where I can
install device drivers if needed, i choose that step, then choose 'skip' to
skip the step, and I get a seg fault...and thats as far as I get.  I am
taken back to the menu part where I can configure add'l device drivers.

btw, I am configuring through the serial port
oh, and i can install solaris 7 on this box just fine, so i dont think its
hardware...

-help
-Chris