Creating installation disks

Hi,

I'm having big trouble creating the installation disks for installing
Debian on an Ultra-10 sparc machine. I have fetched the binaries
(sun4u) from a ftp mirror, but don't know how to create valid boot
disks. Each time I try to boot the rescue disk I get "Bad magic number in
disk label".. I use dd to write the image to the disk, but that isn't
sufficient. I've tried fdformat, format and rmformat to create a magic
number on the disk, as well as fdisk for creating a partition.

Nothing works.

Please help me! I run Solaris 8 on the Ultra-10 on which I create the
installation disks, and the destination machine is identical.

Thanks in advance,
Per Jönsson
Blekinge Institute of Technology
Sweden