Re: ssh-login on sparc

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 10:34:30 +0000,
Stuart Auchterlonie <sauchter@foxboro.com> wrote:
[...]
> debug: checking for shadow entry
> debug: shadow entry found, verifying
> debug: completed shadow checks
> debug: Attempting authentication for sauchter.
> Failed rsa for sauchter from 10.44.32.68 port 4740
> Failed password for sauchter from 10.44.32.68 port 4740

debug: checking for shadow entry
debug: shadow entry found, verifying
debug: completed shadow checks
debug: Attempting authentication for mike.
Accepted password for mike from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX port 2986
debug: Allocating pty.
debug: Forking shell.

[...]
> seeing exactly the same behaviour with openssl-0.9.4-5.

which is what i'm using.

> This machine has very little installed on it as I'm using it as a
> firewall/gateway. It's currently running 2.2.18pre21.

i'm running 2.2.17. my machine is also very minimal, though it's running a
small number of services.

did you strace your sshd to see what system calls are failing? another
difference is that you first try to authenticate via your RSA key. maybe
this is broken and confuses the passwd check afterwards?

--
Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr  | ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
<mike+sig@cluon.priv.at> |           lusers into representational shapes.