Re: quota -- quotacheck bombs

* on the Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:04:42PM +0100, Peter Keel was blubbering:
> quotacheck (from quota_2.00-8) bombs. I can't make out why with
> strace, and ltrace "has no available version but is in the database".
> Kernel is 2.2.18, with quota turned on, of course.

(nb: This is on Sparc10, Woody, usrquota in fstab and quota turned on)

Ok. I recompiled quota, and 'lo! It doesn't segfault. But guess what:
- I had to remove 2 includes (ext2fs/ext2fs.h and tcpd.h) from the
  source, otherwise it wouldn't compile. After removing it compiled
  without complaining. (which, I think, is very strange...)
- quotacheck -uva indeed produced a quota.user file where I expected it.
- repquota -a gave me a report with correct blocknumbers and so on
- edquota <user> gave me a nearly empty file, only with the text, but
  no numbers (for blocks, quota, inodes etc.) filled in.
  Editing this file resulted in it being accepted and seemingly set.
- A further check with quota <user> returned
  "Disk quota for user <user> (Uid: <uid>): none". repquota returned
  no quota as well.
It looks as if quota is completely broken on sparc.

Can I set my quota with a hexeditor until this gets fixed?

Peter
--
"Any good Unix security engineer can clean up any Unix box. But I'm not
 sure there are people even within Microsoft who know how to clean up