printing on sparc

How does one go about setting up printing on a Sparc?

The kernel supports parallel devices, I've installed and set up apsfilter
(pretty much identically to my previous printserver, an x86 box).

lpr runs fine and spools, but nothing ever prints. Attempting to cat a text
file results in the following message:

	kodai:~# cat /tmp/pppcheck.tmp > /dev/lp0
	bash: /dev/lp0: No such device

even though 'ls -l /dev/lp*' shows:

	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     lp         6,   0 Jan  1 04:24 /dev/lp0
	crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   1 Jan  1 04:24 /dev/lp1
	crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   2 Jan  1 04:24 /dev/lp2

I've done some digging for an answer to this but have so far found nothing;
any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Shawn Boyette :: mdxi@collapsar.net :: http://mdxi.collapsar.net/
He had reached the stage in a young man's life when the grimness of the