Re: make bzImage

* on the Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 04:51:05PM -0500, Tad Bilby was blubbering:
> > I've got exactly the same problem. My vmlinux won't let itself boot
> > or whatever. It doesn't display "Loading Linux", instead something
> > (dunno what this is) is displayed, and "Watchodg reset" or something.
> > Any ideas? Why can't I make vmlinuz anyway?
>
> What is a watchdog reset?

Ok, thanks. I try to boot my Sparc10 with vmlinux-2.4.0; this is what
happens:

SILO boot:
PROMLIB: obio_ranges 5
bootmem_init: Scan sp_banks,  init_bootmem(spfn[217],bpfn[217],mlpfn[c000])
free_bootmem: base[0] size[1000000]
reserve_bootmem: base[0] size[217000]
reserve_bootmem: base[217000] size[1800]
Booting Linux...

Watchdog Reset
Type  help  for more information

The default Debian vmlinuz-2.2.18something-kernel is booting without
problems. But I'm one of those guys who always first compile their own
kernel. Well, the question is, why won't this bugger boot? What went
possibily wrong? I first had SMP-support compiled in, though my Sparc10
has only one processor, same effect.

Is this a problem of some options compiled into the kernel, or
is this (as I suspect) a problem of the format of the kernel-image
itself? And why can't I "make vmlinuz" (as opposed to "make vmlinux"),
and what did the debian-team do to produce a vmlinuz, and does it
actually matter whether its vmlinux or vmlinuz? Of course I could
post more info, like kernel-config and cat /proc/*, but I don't
know if this is appreciated...

Another one (Distribution is testing/woody):
josephine:~# ifup -a
/etc/network/interfaces: Function not implemented
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
That's bogus. Anything else can read this. Strace yields:
open("/etc/network/interfaces", O_RDONLY) = 3
SYS_63()                                = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
Could be that one. Anyway, I'd be glad if this would get fixed.

Peter
--
"Any good Unix security engineer can clean up any Unix box. But I'm not
 sure there are people even within Microsoft who know how to clean up