Re: AMD Lance problem on ELC

> On Jul 24, Ben Roberts scratched in indelible ink :

> I have been unable to get the network connection working.  The transceiver has
> a power indicator light on, which leads me to believe both the adaptor and the
> transceiver work.  Whenever I send packets throught the interface I get
> carrier errors in ifconfig's report, and the LEDS on the transceiver for
> send/receive do nothing.

hmmmm  Last time I had potato installed on my ELC it was all working hunky
dory.  I have to reinstall everything in the next couple of days, so I shall
let you know what happens with mine.  Check the transceiver first comes to
mind.  does the link light come on, and if you send packets across the network
from both your ELC and other machines does the activity light come on?

> 	- Test the transceiver on my 3c509 connected to my 586, which has both
> 		RJ45 and AUI (if this doesn't work it could mean the card is
> 		defaulting to the RJ45, so I don't know how much help it will
> 		be)

there will be compilable or module options to pass to the NIC to be able to
define which port you want to use, but they do generally default to rj45.

> 	- Try to get the OpenBoot PROM to find the card (I could use some help
> 		on this too; probe-sbus??, or set up a RARP server somewhere
> 		and connect to it?  I'll play with this once my system is
> 		finished installing)

rarp and tftpboot.  hmmmm how did you install debian on the machine in the
first place?  ELC's have no flopppy .....

> 	- Try to compile the lance driver as a module (out of desperation;
> 		probably won't work)

compiling as modules is decidedly trivial.  It helps if you can compile a
kernel by hand. but practice, practice practice ;)

> "If your motherboard smells like carcinogens it's time to get a new
> motherboard."
>         -- Ben Roberts, refering to his SPARC

but when you get the little blue sparky lights on your board you know you have
*real* problems. (referring to a now ex-486 sx/25 overclocked to 50MHz :)

/Jp...
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy