Re: FreeS/WAN allergic to egcs64 (SPARC)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:19:24PM -0700, Jim Dennis wrote:

>  All,
>
>  I've been trying to compile FreeS/WAN (1.3 and the 25 Apr 2000 snapshot)
>  on an UltraSPARC 5 (PCI based Sun) under Debian/Frozen (Potato).  The
>  kernel build dies in a horrible cascade under the KLIPS (kernel level
>  ipsec patches) in /usr/src/linux/net/ipsec/libdes..  I've seen similar
>  failures on Debian/x86 when using egcs (apparently identical errors).
>
>  Here's the main error:
>

> sparc64-linux-gcc -DLIBDES_LIT -DRAND -DTERMIO      -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer   -c -o cbc_enc.o cbc_enc.c
> In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:57,
>                  from des.h:74,
>                  from des_locl.h:76,
>                  from cbc_enc.c:59:

Note, that I compiled FreeS/WAN without problems on Debian potato with a
2.2.15 kernel and gcc 2.95.2 for ix86.

Back to your problem...EWW, why is this thing using system headers for the
kernel!? It should not do that, that is where the problem lies, and you
will continue to have such problems so long as this occurs. The reason
being:

a) egcs64 is not designed to compile for user space, it is only meant for
   kernels
b) sparc64 has 32bit userspace, so using headers from userspace to compile
   the kernel (which is 64bit) is *going* to have problems.

I have the freeswan patch, I'll see what I can do for this.