Nearly sounds ok

I have acquired a dual SS10, rebuilt my kernel with SMP and DBRI and
am playing with x11amp etc.

Firstly the sound has the odd squeek in it. As long as this is a known
feature that's fine.

More annoying is that I can't make any of the mixer programs work.
aumix is not built properly because it prints out what is
supposed to be a #define'd symbol. Another (xamix I think) presents
s small window with nothing in it.

Do I need more than just DBRI for mixing to work ?
What about the buttons on the speaker box ?
Does anybody have a working mixer application ?

Jon