Re: Want some info on what SparcServer1000 is

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:26:59PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I have been building a cluster with lots of machines mixed together,
> almost just for fun, and been installing Slink on
> SparcStation 5/10/20 SparcIPX SparcClassic via RARP/TFTP/nfs.
>
> However, I have 3 machines which claim to be SparcServer1000 (and big).
> They don't seem to want to boot on SUN4M or SUN4C.
> Does anyone have any clue as to what these are and what they want
> (for the boot image)?
>
> I tore it apart, and I think they have SuperSparc. It *seems* as if it is
> dual SuperSparc SMP, and has 4 500Mb drive.
> It's a shame to trash this machine.

>From the hardware guide:
    SPARCserver 1000
        Processor(s):   Mbus modules
        Motherboard:    501-2336 (2338?)
        Bus:            XDBus; SBus @ 20MHz, 3 slots/motheboard;
                        Mbus, 2 slots/motherboard
        Memory:         2G physical, 1M off-chip cache
        Architecture:   sun4d
        Notes:          Single XDBus design with "curious L-shaped
                        motherboards". Three SBus slots, onboard FSBE,
                        512M, two CPU modules per motherboard. Four
                        motherboards total, or a disk tray with four
                        535M 1" high 3.5" disks (1G disks supported
                        recently). Code name "Scorpion". 135 MIPS. First
                        supported in Solaris 2.2 (SunOS 5.2).

                        model  MHz  SPECint92 SPECfp92 SPECint  SPECfp
                        1102   50x2                     2730     3681
                        1104   50x4                     5318     7076
                        1108   50x8                    10113    12710

So, try sun4d.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.