Re: [vojta@math.berkeley.edu: [sparc32] compilation of dpkg gives bad code]

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:17:30 -0500
> From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
> To: Paul Vojta <vojta@math.berkeley.edu>
> Cc: wakkerma@debian.org, debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: [vojta@math.berkeley.edu: [sparc32] compilation of dpkg gives bad code]
>
> > _tashkent# cd /var/cache/apt/archives
> > _tashkent# dpkg --install findutils_4.1-37_sparc.deb
> > (Reading database ... 16703 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Preparing to replace findutils 4.1-37 (using findutils_4.1-37_sparc.deb) ...
> > dpkg: error processing findutils_4.1-37_sparc.deb (--install):
> >  subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  findutils_4.1-37_sparc.deb
>
> This is the subprocess dying (the preinst script), not dpkg. What happens
> if the run the preinst script manually? Have you done an strace of the
> process aswell?

That's what I initially thought, but some of the scripts that were 'dying'
were pretty simple.  Also, I haven't had the problem with dpkg-1.6.6.
So I think the problem is occurring after the fork() but before (or during)
execv().

This may all be moot, though, since it doesn't occur on the older kernel
that I'm running right now.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu