Re: Fresh New potato boot disks from the 2.2.6 boot floppies

I'm having this problem also.  My machine is a SS1+, 28 MB RAM, CG3 fb,
ROM Revision 1.3 using a serial console (no monitor or keyboard attached).
I get "Data Access Exception" errors when trying to boot tftpboot.img over
the network, but booting the sun4cdm/linux-a.out (the 2000-02-04 version)
works OK (providing nfsroot= and ip=, of course).

The install process goes smoothly up to the "Install Operating System
Kernel and Modules."  At this point I select NFS as the method to install
the files, configure the network, enter the server address, and tell it to
"list" the possible directories containing sun4cdm/disks-1.44/rescue.bin.
It finds the correct directory, and I select it.  Since it's over NFS,
rescue.bin is copied over to local first, then installed.

As this dialog box disappears and the next one is about to appear, an
error flies by containing something like "ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or
resource busy."

The process is continued with the next dialog box displayed saying that
/instmnt/debian/sun4cdm/drivers.tgz is being installed.  After this is
complete, I'm returned to the main selection screen and the next step is
still "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules."  `dmesg' doesn't show
anything unordinary.

If I choose the NFS directory "manual"ly, instead of "list," a little more
information is revealed.  During the rescue.bin and drivers.tgz
installation, a dialog box comes up with the title "File error!" and
contains the following text:

"There was a problem installing the Drivers from <15>Oct 25
 23:33:41 dbootstrap[17]: ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device
 or resource busy
 /drivers.tgz"

(Yes, my clock isn't set correctly. :)

Choosing <Continue> returns to the main selection screen as before, of
course.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!

Matt Higgins