Re: xfree setup?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:54:36 -0500 (EST), Ari Heitner <aheitner@andrew.cmu.edu> was crying out from somewhere
>   about: Re: xfree setup?
>
> AFAIK, You could change the color depth. I don't know how one changes the
> resolution.
> It had some option for 8bit and 24 bit or something like it.
>
> It asked me the question when I did dselect at the very beginning of
> installation, so I presume you could do an apt-get install
> the version of xfree binary you want and set it as the new default.
>
> # it probably means that the color depth is compiled in the binary ?

--snip--

um ... there's one binary for each FB type -- an XSun server (8bit color),
an XSun24 server (truecolor), XSunMono for b/w, etc.

On install you choose which one you have, and use it. You can only use the
one binary that's specifically for the FB you have, and it doesn't support
any options (why would the 24bit FB driver support 8bit color?).

So it's giving you an option of which driver to install, AFAIK only one of
which will work on your hardware.

Cheers,

Ari Heitner