Re: Audio?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:

> > Hey everyone...
> >
> > 	I *finally* got audio working on my Ultra10 here at school.  The
> > 2.2.14 kernel seems to have done the trick.  However, I am unable to do
> > anymore then play basic audio via sox/play.  When I try to use freeamp
> > or xmms the audio is all static.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
> If you read the archives from around November you'll see that I raised this
> question then, too.
>
> The answer I got is that the 2.2 series kernel audio driver expects a different
> set of ioctl commands than in the i386 world.  The ioctls are used for
> changing sampling frequency, bits per sample, etc.  Therefore, simple apps
> like sox which just send raw audio data using the default config work, but
> more complex apps written for i386 and not carefully ported will not be able
> to properly set these options.
>
> Audio ioctls are reported to have been reworked in the 2.3 series kernels to
> make them compatible with the i386 kernels, so i386 apps should "just work" on
> sparc with a 2.3 kernel.  However, I have not yet been able to get a 2.3
> series kernel to boot on my Ultra 1.

Actually, the only ioctls which needed to change were the ones to set up
which audio device you get; The others were always present.

I presently lack xmms but if you'll set me strace output I'll be happy to
look at the problem.

That I know of current 2.3 kernels still aren't up to snuff on sparc32,
though I may be wrong. That said, I only have sparc32 machines, so I
haven't exactly been able to do any work on this in a while.

In my 2.3.5 machine I'm able to use x11amp and it works fine.

-D