booting SPARC

Hello all,

I'm new to debian on the sparc architecture and have been reading the
list archives. There's an idle sparc10(?) sun4m machine here and
I'd like to install debian on it. It has 96 Mb of RAM, and an external
4 Gb hard disk. The internal still contains sunos and must not be destroyed.
My questions are.

1) What is the status of deb-sparc vs. potato freeze ? There doesn't seem to be
boot disks there yet and marcus.debian.net is down(?). Should
I try Slink and then upgrade or wait a bit ?

2) I understand that I can make the floppies for sparc on a x86-debian using
dd. Is this right ?

3) Assuming I get the bootdisks, is the install similar to the x86 version ?
I mean partitioning scheme etc.
(the Sparc install manual seems, ahem, confusing on many points...)

I'm quite familiar with installing debian, it's booting the sparc that
worries me.

Any advice appreciated,

Tnx