Re: SS1 with dead NVRAM

This is from :
Frequently Asked Questions about Sun NVRAM/hostid

Date: 2000/03/03 18:27:20

Revision: 1.61

The most up to date version of this document can be obtained from the
following sites:

   * ftp://ftp.mindlink.net/pub/crypto/sun-stuff/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
   * http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Plain text versions of this document are available from the following:

   * ftp://ftp.mindlink.net/pub/crypto/sun-stuff/sun-nvram-hostid.faq
   * http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq

This document has been placed in the public domain by the author - Mark
Henderson <mch@squirrel.com>

2. Change the hostid of an SS10 to be 72c0ffee and the ethernet address to
     be 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee.

     01 0 mkp
     72 1 mkp
     08 2 mkp
     0  3 mkp
     20 4 mkp
     c0 5 mkp
     ff 6 mkp
     ee 7 mkp
     0 8 mkp
     0 9 mkp
     0 a mkp
     0 b mkp
     c0 c mkp
     ff d mkp
     ee e mkp
     0 f 0 do i idprom@ xor loop f mkp

  3. Change the hostid of an SS1000 to 80c0ffee. Leave the ethernet address
     and the date of manufacture intact. Note that the system type byte for
     the SS1000 is 0x80

     c0 c mkp
     ff d mkp
     ee e mkp
     0 f 0 do i idprom@ xor loop f mkp
     update-system-idprom

  4. Install a new NVRAM in an IPX. Set the hostid to 57c0ffee and the
     ethernet address to be 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee .
       1. Turn the machine off.
       2. Remove the old NVRAM chip
       3. Install the new NVRAM chip. Be sure to get the orientation right.
       4. Turn the machine on.
       5. At the OpenBoot monitor prompt execute the following commands:

          set-defaults
          setenv diag-switch? false
          8 0 20 c0 ff ee c0ffee mkpl
          ^D^R

          where ^D represents Control-D, etc.

Odds and Ends.

Resetting the NVRAM (when Stop-N doesn't do it)