Re: Help installing on and old SPARC 5

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:18:43PM -0800, graziano wrote:
> The cd-rom is on SCSI id 6. After I
> 	boot cdrom
> the linux kernel kicks in, but I think it is not recognizing the CDROM
> or the HD. At least on x86 you get the lists of SCSI devices and I
> didn't see any lists in the boot. Then the kernel panics (of courss)
> because there is no root.

Not all SCSI CDROM players work on a Sun. Suns want CDROM players that
can do 512 byte blocks instead of the usual 2048 byte blocks. My Compaq
CDROM player (Toshiba OEM) has a jumper to select 512 or 2048 byte
blocks, it only works if I select 512 byte block mode. Of course Sun
CDROM players work perfectly well.

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl