Re: Linux novice can't find nfsd and ftpd daemons

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:14, Mark Mohrmann wrote:
> I'm trying to do a very simple task. Make two SPARC stations transfer
> files between each other. I've read the NFS HOWTO which tells me the nfsd
> and ftpd daemons should be found in /usr/sbin. I can't find them.
>
> Using ftp, I get a connection, but then the message
> "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection."
>
> Trying to mount from an NFS server gives me the message
> "mount: RPC: Program not registered"
>
> Running rpcinfo -p gives me
> 100000    2    tcp    111    portmapper
> 100000    2    ucp    111    portmapper
>
> Where are the nfs and ftp daemons?
>
> I think I'm not getting the big picture here. Can anyone help me?
> Thanks.

Hi,

You need to install the appropriate Debian packages. It looks like you
haven't done this yet. The packages are called nfs-server (or
nfs-kernel-server if you prefer to use the kernel-space one - probably the
user-space one (nfs-server) is easier) and there are several FTP servers,
for instance wu-ftpd and proftpd.

Install them from dselect, or, if you have apt set up properly, run

apt-get install nfs-server proftpd

(e.g. if you want proftpd).

Hope that helps... good luck anyway.

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  d.franklin@ieee.org