Re: Questions...

* Dario Rossi <dario@it.colt.net> [000925 00:59]:
> I downloaded kernel 2.2.17 to optimize everything but i have 2 major
> problems to get solved: the first of minor importance, is: why can't i
> choose any option from xconfig, to set up sound harware?Every option of
> this kind, looks unselectable, as if it was depending on a previous one,
> but i am quite sure it is not this ( i tried empiristically to choose
> everything, but it didn't become selectable);

Hmm... the semi-cop-out answer is "use menuconfig instead of xconfig
because xconfig gets broken at times"... but maybe if it's not
selectable, then it is showing up when it shouldn't.  For sound hardware
on a sparc, you should only be able to select what drivers to include,
and there are only a few of them...

> the second quiestion, is that
> skipping sound configuration, i got this error while making vmlinux:
>
> sparc64-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer  -pipe -mno-fpu
> -mtune=ultrasparc -mmedlow -ffixed-g4 -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7
> -Wno-sign-compare  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
> /bin/bash: sparc64-linux-gcc: command not found
> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 127

Simple solution to this... you're missing the sparc64-linux-gcc binary
which is the 64-bit sparc compiler that you need to build the sparc64
kernel with.  This is contained in the "egcs64" package... install that
and all should be well (assuming all other needed packages are
installed).

Good luck. :)