unable to mount ext2 after base installation

I just finished installing slink base system on my
SparcStation 5. Now when I want to install packages,
it does not mount floppy diskeetes. It perhaps can
mount only ext2 files systems. I did mkfs -t ext2 on
my redhat notebook and the disk that mounts fine in
redhat does not mount on slink. It says "wrong fs
type, too many mounted systems or busy device". Can
someone help?
Thanks,
Shan