Re: Is Video Capture Supported

Chris Brandstetter wrote:

> Dear All,
>     I have a question, I just recently laid my hands on a SBUS Video
> Capture card for my Ultra 1.  It has a phillips chip on it, now my
> question, is it supported in any shape or form under Linux?
>
>             Chris B
>             www.inventivecomm.com

Well, it's supposedly supported - there is a "vfc" driver. However, I
too have one of these cards (matches your description exactly) and I
never got it to do anything useful under Linux. I was able to detect
that I was sending PAL video to it but I couldn't actually capture
anything other than a grey rectangle. I found a program written for
SunOS which was supposed to capture an image, and I think that the vfc
driver was supposed to be compatible with this (definitely NOT
Video4Linux). I tried to contact the author of the driver (he's listed
in /usr/src/linux/drivers/sbus/char/vfc*) but I never got a response.
It's a pity, because this looks like quite a nice little card, and the
price was right :-)

If you want, mail me privately and I'll send you a copy of the capture
program, maybe it will work for you :-)

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  d.franklin@ieee.org