Re: Results with 2.2.15-2000-06-10

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 11:10:21AM +0100, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 03:42:22PM +0100, Peter Haworth wrote:
> > > So how should we format disks on Sparc linux? Admittedly, there are
> > > plenty of PCs in my office, but I don't like to get up out of my chair
> > > :-)
> >
> > Most disks are already formatted aren't they? :) If you have a disk
> > already formatted for DOS or some other Operating System, then you don't
> > need to format. All you need to do is "mke2fs /dev/fd0", or skip
> > formatting altogether in the case of making a boot-floppy with the
> > installer.
>
> Unfortunately, I have some disks formatted for TOS, which Linux doesn't like,
> even though they are supposed to be the same as DOS. Surely mke2fs isn't going
> to format for DOS, is it?

You are missing the point. Formatting and initializing a filesystem are
two different things. Once a floppy is lowlevel formatted for use (i.e.
via superformat, however DOS nor Windows really makes the distinction
between format and initializing), it doesn't need to be formatted again.
You simply need to initialize the filesystem. So, you can run mke2fs on a
DOS disk and end up with an initialized ext2 Linux filesystem floppy. No
need to superformat.

Ben