Potato Boot Image Broken? / Problems installing Kernel?

Hello,

might the Potato boot image (../dists/potato/main/disks-sparc/..) for Sparc
4cdm (I use it on a sparcstation 5) be broken?

I had the following problems, when i tried ot install it on a sparcstation
5 (no floppy)

	a) kbd selection (Std US Sparc Kbd) returned an error
	b) when trying to access base2_2.tgz the system:

			1) hangs if I mount it from an NFS volume
			2) dowloads the image and tells me there 'was some error processing the
image' when I use an ftp or http server

Thanks for any info pertaining to my problem: Installing Slink, and then
upgrading to potato is a lot more work.

A side note: what arg do I need to pass to make to actuially install the
new kernel? vmlinux comiles it alright, but it leaves me with a
'vmlinux.o' (in /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/boot)?

Thanks alot for your help