no shell

I've just made a fresh install on SparcStation 5. Now I have a weird
problem: I can't login as a user, only as root. If I try to su from the
root to anything else, I get "No shell" error message. Strace shows that
execve returns "Permission denied". Other operations involving exec under
a different uid also show that, e.g. trying "man something" gives
execv: Permission denied

Anyone else have a similar problem ? What can cause it, a bad kernel ?
I'll try to compile a 2.2.16 and see what happens.

Sergey.

PS. reply directly, I'm not subscribed.