Re: Netra Server

Jason Pock wrote:

> The machine has an internal cd drive!  Can I use that some how?
> I wasn't sure whether or not a bootable cd was available for
> sparc systems.

Uh...ah... I don't know whether there is a bootable image, but...
Does it have a floppy drive?  If so, you can boot -floppy, and
install from CD, for sure.

> How does
> one "borrow" a DHCP served address?

Well, don't tell any of my LAN administrators, but, if you know
one of the addresses served up by DHCP, one not in use at the
time -check by ping'ing the address- preferably, one that has a
low chance of being leased out anytime really soon, like one you
know was just used by something now shut down, or if you know
the IP of something you can temporarily disconnect for a short
time, you use that IP address until you get dhclient,
 or equivalent, installed.  Then, ASAP, switch to dhcp.
And it's better to "borrow" the IP of something you can unplug.

I've set this message to self-destruct five minutes after you read
it, just to make sure it doesn't get back to my LAN admin.  They
are just WAY too reactionary.

Seriously though:  If you temporarily use an IP address in your
subnet that is not used at the moment, whether DHCP-server, or
something that is held statically, for a short time, it won't
hurt anything.  I used to be a LAN admin, and, then, I would give
an official word, then give the off-the-record advice.  Just make
sure to get off the static setting ASAP.

You might even find out through official channels if there is
an IP address you could you temporarily while setting up your
DHCP client.

<soapbox>
Therefore, my recommendations to the upstream maintainer of
ifconfig:  put DHCP clienthood into that.
To all the LAN admins:  keep an address or two just for very
temporary use.
To all the rest of the world: find peace.
</soapbox>

> Thanks!

Any time... almost...