cdrecord on sparc

I am trying to get cdrecord to go on my sparc box (E250) with little
success and was wondering if anyone else is actually using this.

I have 2 drives, a CDR and a CDRW as follows....
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8424S         Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: XM6201TASUN32XCD Rev: 1103
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

When I run cdrecord, I get the following....
bash> cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (sparc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Unknown error 512. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl

I think this may be a problem with the generic scsi drivers as the
author of cdreocrd seems to not like them very much 8^).  I am going to
try patching the kernel with his version and see what happens, in the
meantime, if anyone knows a solution to this I would appreciate it if
you could let me know

Cheers
Michael Anthon