Re: ATTN PORTERS: UPGRADING - please compile static apt&dpkg ASAP!

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 12:33:13PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> I need your help, and I need it REALLY soon.
>
> I've documented and tested the as-yet only way of _smoothly_ upgrading from
> "anything" to potato. This involves static versions of apt and dpkg, which can
> be made _very_ easily. I've done this myself for i386, and it works perfectly.

As I said, do not send this crap here. SPARC does not need this for
upgrades. I've done many slink to potato upgrades, and neither apt nor
dpkg has caused any problems.

I suspect that i386, m68k (and maybe alpha, but maybe not) are the only
ones who would be interested.

However, it is quite obvious that you have only tested this on i386, and
as each port is unique, you have no clue what they want or need. So,
instead of demanding things that you know nothing about, request
information on what may be needed. My SPAM filters almost dropped your
silly subject line anyway.

Ben