Re: linux-ipsec: Re: FreeS/WAN allergic to egcs64 (SPARC)

Apparently "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> wrote:

>     It looks like conmakehash.c is also including stdio.h --- though
>     it wasn't tripping over the __restrict problem like this.

> conmakehash is build with the user application compiler,
> ie. HOSTCC

> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@redhat.com

 David,

  I'd tried building the .../ipsec/libdes with gcc and with
  gcc272 before building the rest of the kernel.  I haven't
  yet figured out how to hack KLIPS libdes to use HOSTCC
  instead of egcs-sparc-64 and I have no confidence that
  this would work.

  I don't suppose its possible to compile a 32-bit kernel and
  run it on an UltraSPARC.  Is it?  (I've tried a couple of
  ways --- and it doesn't seem to work).

  Incidentally I also tried unpacking a fresh copy of 2.2.14
  and applying the patch-int-2.1.2.14.1 (international crypto
  patch) to that.  It seems to do a bit better though it has
  basically the same problem with some of the modules there.

  (I've unpacked several different copies and started
  fresh a couple of different times trying different options
  --- just to be sure that I wasn't bumping into some artifact of
  my earlier failures).

  I can give you and others (as needed) access to this
  system via ssh, if you're willing to take a look at it.

  I'm willing to switch to Red Hat (SPARC) if the tool chain
  included with that can cope with this.

  I've been looking at pipsecd --- which seems to install O.K.
  (though I have to get the right version of the userlink.o
  kernel modules build and installed to actually test it).

  Unfortunately I haven't seen any response from anyone on
  the linux-ipsec team.  I know that the message got to their
  list, since I see it in their archives, as linked from their
  own web site.  I see that another question about SPARC issues
  has been ignored as well.

  Do they believe in a PC centric world out there?  Seems like
  an odd bias to me; particularly considering the background
  of their principle sponsor.

  Of course the FreeS/WAN patches are completely separate from
  the international crypto patch.  I don't suppose it would make
  sense to integrate the two in some way.  Maybe we'd have one
  implementation of the relevant DES, IDEA, 3DES, MD5 and SHA-1
  algorithms.  Maybe FreeS/WAN could then be more easily extended
  to use Twofish, or whatever the AES winner turns out to be.

  Anyway, David, Jakub, and Anton,

  Is there any chance that I might get this working if I
  were to get the latest egcs out of CVS (and/or upgrade to
  a new glibc?).  Would any of you like access to this box?
  (I can to a scratch new install if you like.  This was a
  Debian Potato using Ben Collins 60Mb ISO image and an
  apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.  I'll see if I can
  dig up a Red Hat if that would help.

  Is it just that SPARC is a "third class citizen" and that
  I'm expecting too much?

--
Jim Dennis                                             jdennis@linuxcare.com
Linuxcare: Linux Corporate Support Team:            http://www.linuxcare.com